Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Argentina - Carlos Pellegrini & Esteros Del Ibera

Four hours on a converted school bus on a unpaved road, we arrived in the town of Carlos Pellegrini. The bus driver dropped us off here (um...Senor driver, donde esta the town?):
We took a boat tour of Esteros Del Ibera, a swamp area. Bill doing safety check:

We saw about fifty crocodiles:

This is a carpincho:
Marsh deer:
Even though we did not have our own bathroom at the hotel, we really liked it because we met nice, interesting Argentineans that spoke English there. We cannot get beyond ´hello, we are from California, we love your county´ in our Spanish conversations, and it was great being able to talk to the locals. We met a musician who plays double bass in a philharmonic, an art student and surfer, an English teacher and a biology student:Bill had to stop this pony from trying to get into our room:
To get to the next town, we rode in this four-wheel drive, converted truck on a dirt road:

I have been obsessed with seeing a real Argentinean gaucho (traditional cowboy) ever since we got to Argentina, which has not been too successful since gauchos are going extinct. Needless to say, I was very happy when our converted truck picked up three hitchhiking gauchos. One of them dropped what looked like a nail, so I picked it up for him - it was a bullet! How gaucho is that! We did not take any picture of them (we try to avoid annoying men with bullets), but here is a picture of another gaucho:

Gauchos?:

9 comments:

pooliod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pooliod said...

Those crocs look fat with carpinchos and marsh deer! Hopefully they don't get any "Korean food".

Good blogging, as usual. Fun to follow your travels.

Donnie

Anonymous said...

The gaucho has kung-fu shoes on. Holla!

Anonymous said...

hee hee hee hee hee... I love this picture of you two. So I just figured out how to leave a damn comment... I am such an ass.

Keish

Anonymous said...

Donnie - we got close enough to the crocodiles that if I had extended my arm, I could have touched them! I didn´t tho - "Tourist Loses Arm on Swamp Tour"...

Brooklyn - no self-respecting gaucho wears socks, even in freezing winter! (I don´t know if this is true, but the other cowboys we saw were wearing the same shoes)

Keisha - welcome! I still think Sam put together your wedding blog, not you...

- Jeeheon

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Who the eff is Rodrigo? Do I have to check him?

Anonymous said...

I second brooklyn's comment -- is he "rodrigo the pool the boy" from Vegas?

Heather

Jeeheon said...

Brooklyn - It´s Rodrigo the spam-guy, probably trying to sell something. I deleted his comment... ah, the power of a blog administrator...

Heather - I totally forgot about our Rodrigo, the inflatable boyfriend from Vegas! Do you still have him? (BTW, Brooklyn is Susan)