Sunday, July 1, 2007

Bolivia - Copacabana

We took a bus to Copacabana, on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca. We had front seats on the bus - very good view:

We had to get off the bus for immigration processing at Peru-Bolivia border. Overland border crossings are always slightly unnerving since you hear so many bad stories. (And especially more so for me since I don´t have an American or European passport). Without fail, at Peru exit immigration, I got sent to another room (they wouldn´t let Bill in), where two military men went through and sniffed (yes, sniffed) all my stuff, including my money belt. One guy was even counting all my cash, and I do carry a bit of cash as we can´t always find a working ATM. I was flustered and annoyed, wondering if they were going to ´confiscate´my cash, and if so, how much I was going to let them take. Then one of them asked me if I was a student. I answered that I was an attorney in the US. Boom! Immediately, they were apologetically giving me all my stuff back, shooing me out of the room. Wow! Behold the power of esquiredom! I am taping the California bar registration card to my forehead at the next border crossing.

Bolivia is insanely cheap. You can get a room with private bathroom for less than $3 - which is probably why our $20 hotel room has this view of Lake Titicaca. This is Bolivia´s only public beach - Bolivia is land-locked since losing a territory war to Chile in the 1800´s:

This is at Isla del Sol, the birth place of the sun according to Inca legends:

Doorway to an Inca palace:
Boat back from Isla del Sol - note the backpackers passed out. Bolivia seems to attract more ´hardcore´ backpackers:
Bill in front of a store selling large sugared pop-corns (to the fellow Koreans: it´s exactly like kang-neang-yee! I didn´t know they had those outside Korea):

2 comments:

pooliod said...

Cheers! Looks fantastic. Does Bill keep you on retainer?

Jeeheon said...

Hehe, our rule is that he can only drink at the hotel or hostel that we are staying at, so he isn`t walking back to the hotel drunk at night in some random city, and that`s been working out pretty well...