Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Malaysia - Pankgor Island, Tana Ratah (Cameron Highlands) and Georgetown (Penang Island)

First, it's been a while and I know I've been pretty lazy about blogging the various stops along the route through Malaysia, so . . .

After Kuala Lampur, I headed to Pangkor island, a small island just off the coast about 4 hrs. north of KL. It was nice and fairly deserted:



The seafood in Malaysia has been phenomenal (and phenomenally cheap):



The weather on the coast is extremely hot and humid, so I decided to head for the Cameron Highlands, a hill station founded by the British during the colonial era, for a few days to cool off. Needless to say, given it's history, everywhere you go you can drink tea and eat scones -- kind-of bizarre:




I did a little hiking in the area -- this one is me almost falling into the river trying to get ready for the self-timer shot with the camera (yeah, climbing on wet rocks while hiking alone in the jungle - brilliant):



Another waterfall (this time no dangerous wet rocks):



Chinese temple in the country:



Once I had sufficiently cooled off, I headed back down to the coast to Penang, another island just off Malaysia's west coast. I spent most of my time in Georgetown, a fairly large city:



Malaysia has a great ethnic mix, with about 61% indigenous Malay people, about 27% Chinese, 7% Indian and 5% other (roughly). The Malay, Chinese and Indian cultures are all very visible. For example, in Georgetown, a very much Chinese city, this Chinese temple:

is a half block from this Indian temple

which is a half block from this mosque:


Of course it's not all just great culture in Penang - there is plenty of shopping and beach time to be had as well:


Now that I've met back up with JeeHeon here in Phuket, Thailand, I'll turn creative control of the blog back over to her, so it will soon be back to the normal enjoyable read it once was.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, the band is reuniting! Happy Birthday Jeeheon!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Thailand! Happy Birthday Jeeheon!

Kathy

pooliod said...

I'm still waiting for my Syrian hooka to arrive. Maybe it's just held up at customs.

How's the Thai food?

Donnie

Anonymous said...

Susan - thanks!! I think I see wrinkles around my eyes - it's time for intense retinol treatment.

Kathy - thank you! The Big Day is less than a month away, huh? I want real time updates!

Donnie - you better talk to ebay re your hooka. Thai food is good but makes me hungry again in just couple hours.

- Jeeheon

Michele Rivituso said...

Hi Guys! Hey Bill, can you email me off-line re: a work question... that is, if you want a little bit of money :)

Your truly, dedicated assistant to ever vacationing boss

Thailand Tourism said...

Great insight man, much appreciated.