Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thailand - Ko Hai and Ko Mook

Looking for even more island-paradise-ness, we took a boat down to Ko Hai in the very southern part of Thailand. The island of Ko Hai doesn't even have a road - the only thing there is a beach with some hotels on it. It's like Cast Away with air conditioning.
*

The beach there is great - white sands, crystal clear water that stays shallow forever, and corals with different kinds of tropical fishes for snorkeling. The speck in the picture is Bill and he is still walking!:
It seems visitors to this part of Thailand are mostly Scandinavians (everyone is blond). We are having a hard time locating English books in thehotel book exchange. The only English book I could find was 'Disahamma - Mankind's Pathway Dhamma' in which 'the author describes how a householder can grow the Buddha nature within himself and finally attain nirvana.' I miss TV.
*
Bill is half way through my old copy of 'The Devil Wears Prada' and is glad that he doesn't work in fashion:
These are longtail boats used to ferry people between the islands:
On one ride, the boat engine stopped suddenly when we were in the middle of the sea. I almost put on the life jacket that I was sitting on, but realized that it was just the captain turning off the engine so he could answer his cell phone. Make that Cast Away with air con and cellphone reception.

This is the island of Ko Mook:



7 comments:

pooliod said...

Air conditioning, cell phones, and volleyballs named Wilson, I hope.


Looks nice, enjoy yourslves. Pangs of envy may have finally set in here... :) But then I remind myself how lucky I am to be here at work, I love it!

Donnie

Bill said...

Work . . . what's that???

Anonymous said...

Looks like it's time for the speedo again.

Jeeheon said...

Very perceptive of you - I was wondering how many people were going to notice.

Ricky Bobby said...

That place looks awesome!

You should just stay and open up a little bar.

Jeeheon said...

Bill suggsted the same, but I am afraid the sun will irreparably damage my skin (freckles!).

Thailand Tourism said...

Koh Mook ! Koh Hai was the most gorgeous place ever, big rocks jutting out