Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Malaysia - Kuala Lampur

This was the view from the plane as I left Nepal -- apparently you had to get above the clouds to enjoy the fine Himalaya views. Nepal was a nice country to visit, and I hope I am fortunate enough to go again one day, but after a little more than 2 weeks I'd had enough of the cold winter weather (and power outages, and political demonstrations . . . ), and with Jeeheon still resting up in Korea for another couple of weeks, I decided it was time to head south to Malaysia. I didn't quite know what to expect from Kuala Lampur, I hadn't really seen or read much about it. Turns out it's much nicer than I thought. No real knock-your-socks-off sights (or maybe they are there and I was just to lazy to see them), but a real pleasant city to spend a few days.


The Petronas Towers, named for Malaysia's national oil and gas company, used to be the tallest building in the world before construction of Tapei 101:

The view from the skybridge of the towers:

Malaysia is a muslim country (this is a shot during Friday prayers):

A few other city shots:




Kuala Lampur has a great food scene, with lots and lots of street vendors (called "hawkers" in Malaysia) selling all kinds of food:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Bill, have you had a chance to practice your oh so smooth moves? "How you doin'" and "So where ya from?"

pooliod said...

...or, "you like my hair?"

Be safe Bill. (you, too, Jeeheon - but your greater risk may be in eating too much good food!)

Donnie

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, when you gonna stop having all this fun?? You're missing a lot great real estate deals!
Actually, can you email me?
Tom Muller

nana said...

hey you two,
welcome to the year of the rat!
hope you have happily reunited with each other.
stay safe and continue to have tons of fun!
how are you guys planning on celebrating jeeheon's birthday?
;)

Thailand Tourism said...

Kuala Lumpur is the seat of the Parliament of Malaysia.