Sunday, November 25, 2007

Egypt - Luxor

We took the sleeping train from Cairo to Luxor - the brown panel on top is another bed when pulled down. It was very much 'Murder on the Orient Express' by Agatha Christie. Unfortunately, there was no murder for me to solve (yes, I am a big dork):

We rode donkeys over the desert hills to the Valley of the Kings and the Hatshepsut Temple. It was a memorable way to see the sights, but I think we were scammed by the donkey man. He swore he worked for the stable recommended by the Lonely Planet that we were looking for (he was standing right in front of it), but on hindsight, I don't think he worked there. We ended up paying for the donkey that he rode on, plus he demanded more after we gave him a tip of 28% on already overcharged total price:

Hatshepsut Temple:

The touts have completely worn out poor Bill; he has now taken to taking naps in the middle of the day. Bill gets hassled more than I do, I think due to his 'American boyscout'-ness; he can't bring himself to rudely ignore someone that's talking to him. They can smell that kind of weakness from a mile away. I am trying to perfect my wicked witch of the east expression.

The Nile river and the fertile farm land in the Nile Valley:

This is a statute of Ramses II and Queen Nefertari:

I was secretly disappointed in Luxor, because I thought there were pyramids in Luxor. It's probably the pyramid-shaped Luxor hotel in Las Vegas that confused me. How sad.

9 comments:

pooliod said...

I have to be quick here, my laptop is almost out of gas.

So you should include at least one full size jpg picture link for me here... I think my Jerusalem cross background is making the people at my office think I'm some religious nut.

Take care. Bill - have another beer on me! Jeeheon, Grey Goose if you can find it!

Anonymous said...

What a cute donkey. I think if I rode a donkey my feet would drag on the ground.

I have always wanted to see the pyramids. Do they let you go inside any of the tombs?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

At first I felt bad that you guys are getting hassled and ripped off then I saw the picture of the sad looking donkeys that look like they are about to die. Those poor donkeys! Pay the man more money to feed them!

Anonymous said...

Did you get to see the newly unveiled body of Tutenkamom (spelling??) boy-pharaoh? There was a huge buzz around this mummy..

woni

Anonymous said...

Did you get to see the newly unveiled body of Tutenkamom (spelling??) boy-pharaoh? There was a huge buzz around this mummy..

woni

Anonymous said...

Donnie - are the pictures on this blog different sizes? Because I just select them as 'large' and load them - they should all be the same size! Ah, the mystery...

Kathy - you can go inside the tombs, but no photos are allowed inside. We saw graffiti on the tomb wall from around the 5th century!

Brooklyn - the donkeys may look skinny but they are strong! I had to continuously pull my donkey back from going too fast...

Woni - we didn't see the King Tut mummy that's in his tomb because it was a separate ticket to go into King Tut tomb and they had at least 15 other tombs that we could go into at no extra cost. Yes we are cheap.

- Jeeheon

Anonymous said...

Mummies all look the same anyways.. no need to pay extra.

didn't know you could take the train to Luxor. Will you take one of those sailing ships on the way back up (if you are even coming back to Cairo).

woni

pooliod said...

Jeeheon,

Some pictures have links to the full size images, others do not have links.

e.g. your East Jersalem picture -> http://bp1.blogger.com/_Q9u120myk8s/Rzl2KTChNNI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/Yp0ITNU7MXs/s1600-h/DSCN3706.JPG

Anyway, don't worry about it. have fun, forget about my desktop!

Donnie :)

Bill said...

Poolio: The only thing we really know about computers is that you turn them on and bam, you can surf the net.

Hyewon: I love it that you comment twice.