Saturday, September 22, 2007

Greece - Santorini

Many of the coffee shops I used to frequent in college in Seoul had on their walls a picture or a painting of Santorini, showing a view of the blue ocean through its white houses. This probably explains why I met more fellow Koreans here in Santorini than all the rest of Greece put together.

Santorini refers to the partially submerged volcano, poking above the ocean as five different islands. We are staying in the biggest island Thira, in the town of Ia. Ia is impossibly pretty - white buildings clustered on a cliff overlooking the ocean, exactly like the coffee shop posters.
Understandably, Ia is very popular with tourists, and we were much discouraged with the expensive hotel prices when we got here, walking around all over town with our backpacks. We were about to give up and go sleep in the dormitory at the youth hostel when Bill asked the seventh place for its price - only 35 euros per night! (Hostel dormitory would have been 28 euros for the two of us.) The hotel even has a tiny pool, and our studio comes with a functional kitchen. I almost hugged the old lady owner. In fact, I suspect that she lives in our studio during the off-season, because it has a very 'grandma's house' feel to it; for example, this china cabinet filled with flower patterned plates and photographs:I made two batches of chicken soup with rice (dak-baek-sook!) in the kitchen.
Bonus Items:

1. Santorini's romantic sunset:
2. Tourists watching the sunset:
3. Canine appreciation of the romantic sunset:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merhaba Bill & Jeeheon! These are my recommendations for Turkey (I spent 2 months there - was only supposed to stay 2 weeks, but didn't want to leave - too much to see and do in this fantastic country): the Aegean coast (Kusadasi to use as a base to visit Efes [formerly Ephesus in Paul's time], Pamukali, the Ionian triangle, day ferry to Patmos [where John wrote Revelation]; the small fishing village of Kas to rest & make friends, Mt Olympus, Marmaris, the Pamphilia region in general; inland to Capodoccia for fairy castles and underground cities (there's a Club Med there); Konya for whirling dirvishes; Troy; and of course Istanbul (the Sultanamet is central for touristic sites). Bus is the best mode of transportation in Turkey, which has lovely people, great food, beautiful beaches & ocean, AND it's cheap. Just stay out of the southwest where the PKK are making trouble. Gule gule, Lorraine (in Austin)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, this looks like it beats sitting in a juror assembly room like I'm doing right now. Haha!

Kathy

Ricky Bobby said...

Nice dog picture. When are you going to Detroit?

Remember, if you're not first, you're last.

Anonymous said...

We loved Santorini too! Don't forget the to have the frappe! You know me - I can't have anything stronger than frappe.

-Lil

Anonymous said...

Hey bro pick me up some teaching applications, I think I found where I want to teach. Glad your having fun.


patti

nana said...

happy belated korean thanksgiving bill and jee~~~

where in the world are you two now?

safe travels~~~

Jeeheon said...

Lorraine - thanks for the travel tips...we are going to Turkey tomorrow!

Kathy - you can leave comment on a blog from your blackberry?

Ricky Bobby - how many lines from the movie do you have memorized?

Lil - I've seen you do half a shot at my bachelorette's party!

Patti - I know, isn't it pretty? It's like walking into a post card...

Nana - thanks! I didn't get to eat rice cakes, but I did go to the Chinese restaurant for chicken curry...