Monday, September 17, 2007

Greece - Elafonissi, Crete

We took a seven hour ferry over from mainland Greece to the island of Crete:
We stayed at the port town of Kissamos for couple days to figure out where in Crete we wanted to go. The young man that sold tickets at the bus station told us that we had to go to Elafonissi, that it is the #2 best beach in the world. Made us wonder where #1 beach was - maybe in Brazil?; at any rate, we took his advice and got on the bus to Elafonissi.

Elafonissi is beautiful. It may be the best beach I have been to. The water is different shades of aqua and crystal clear and it stays shallow forever. When it does get deep enough where an adult can just touch the bottom, there are corals for snorkeling and tiny fishes swimming. Thank you, Young Man at the Bus Station!
Our hotel, one of the only two buildings around the area, was on a steep hill. This is Bill walking up to the hotel:

In and around Elafonissi, we saw many shrines on the side of the road and in front of houses. They are built to look like tiny churches and have a painting of a saint, a candle and maybe some holy water inside. I love them!
This is the shrine in front of our Elafonissi hotel:
Dinner - grilled octopus for me, rabbit stew for Bill:

8 comments:

pooliod said...

Hey, stay right there, we'll be right over....I wish! Looks awesome.

BTW - pretty sure the #1 beach is at Fish Lake near Bill's place in Cheney.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Crete looks amazing. I still want that floatie....

...btw, I thought speedos were well-received in Greece. Where's Bill's?

Annie

Anonymous said...

It looks so relaxing there! Did I mention that I'm totally jealous? I wish I could join you guys for this part of the trip.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey... GREAT PICTURES.... you have no idea how much I'm envying you!!! I'm sorry I missed you guys when you were in Madrid. Keep traveling and enjoying life!!!

Lorena

Anonymous said...

Is Bill on the October cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition?

Anonymous said...

Donnie - Bill says #1 is actually Deer Lake north of Spokane.

Annie - Bill tossed the speedo after reading a Lonely Planet travel discussion; one poor guy asked "can I wear a speedo in Dubai?" The response was "they're legal in Dubai, but frankly they shouldn't be allowed anywhere at all."

Kathy - we saw tons of tourists on the beaches in Greece with really little babies!

Lorena - I thought of you in Madrid when I saw all these teenagers partying on the street!

Anonymous - Bill, is that you?

Anonymous said...

Hello JeeHeon & Bill,
Love going through your site - beautiful photos and great stories! some classic pix too...
Finally managing to post up a comment after a few attempts. Sid & I look forward to hosting you in Africa soon. God speed & happy landing. Hyun Hee & Sid

ZainoinSpalla said...

Hi Bill,
very beautiful experience.
I'd like to visit Elafonissi on nxt summer.
Would you be so kind to send to me the mail and/or phone numero of your hotel?

Many thanks
Fabrizio

email: zainoinspalla@gmail.com