Friday, August 31, 2007

Spain - Tomatina Festival in Bunol

Tomatina is the annual tomato throwing festival, held in the small town of Bunol (population: 9,000). It supposedly originated in 1944 with a fight between friends. The festival starts at 11am and lasts for 2 hours, during which the city drives in loads of tomatoes for people to throw at each other.


We got to Bunol at about 10am. I looked around at the young, drunk, rowdy and mostly non-Spanish crowd, and decided that I needed a drink as well. This is me with a giant sangria at 10am:
It may have been the cute and quaint festival I thought it was in 1944, but now, it is more like a giant mosh pit. We saw couple people with black eyes - they probably got hit by the shoes that were flying.

Video clip of people throwing clothes and shoes after the tomatoes were gone:

My favorite - grandma hosing people down on the street with water:

The aftermath:

For me, Tomatina was like Mardi Gras - I am glad I´ve been, but will probably never go again.

4 comments:

pooliod said...

Fun! Can we do that next time Jeanette and I come visit you? I'll buy the tomatos! Or, we can stick to the sangiras if you would prefer.

Stay safe!

Donnie

k-mo said...

Looks like Spain is fun. Can't wait for Turkey.

Jeeheon said...

Donnie - I don´t think I want to look at a tomato ever again... I had dried tomato pulp coming out of my hair for couple days.

Kevin - Didn´t you go to Spain last year? To the southern part?

nana said...

jee, i don't know if you remember my friend ken, owner of ken's bar, anyways, he's on a year long honeymoon and he was at bunol the same time you guys were there! he said the same thing about not wanting to join the tomato festival ever again, haha~

if you're bored, go to www.thekenstyle.com