Sunday, June 17, 2007

Peru - Arequipa


For the 8 hour bus ride from Nazca to Arequipa, we decided to take the night bus - we figured we´d save on hotel and pass the time by faster by sleeping. It turned out to be a bad idea, because I got the worst motion sickness ever on that bus ride. For the first time on this trip, I was wondering why I was throwing up in the dark in a bus in the middle of nowhere in Peru when I could be home in my own bed. Terrible.

So, we had had big plans for Arequipa. We were going to visit Colca Canyon, the second biggest canyon on the world or something. But we weren´t feeling so good, probably due to the altitude, and didn´t feel up to the supposedly rough road and hiking. So we spent three days in Arequipa sleeping, and booked a flight to Cuzco. Along with Guatemala´s Tikal ruins, I guess Peru´s Colca Canyon will have to be another famous world sight that we ´almost´ visited.

The one thing we did do in Arequipa was to see ¨Juanita¨ mummy - a young girl sacrificed to the mountain gods about 500 years ago. The body was preserved in the glacier until a nearby volcano exploded and melted the ice in 1995. Very creepy looking at 500 year old dead body - her hair and teeth were still intact!

This is a picture of the mummy - it´s not our picture, no photos were allowed in the museum:

Street our hotel was on:

Volcano peaks in the back:

Dinner! Aji de Gallina (shredded chicken in creamy tangy sauce) and trout:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's the weather in Peru around this time of the year? We were there in December (summer) and I remember it being pretty chilly after sunset. Sorry to hear about your being sick on the overnight bus! We decided to skip the Colca Canyon tour too because at the time our big Inca Trail trek was only a few days away. Will you guys be going on the 4-day Inca Trail trek up to Macchu Picchu? It was really difficult because of the altitude (the second day was a killer) but the scenery was unbelievable. Have fun!!

-Sue-

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you guys! Not one single picture of you with a cigarette! Are you still on the waggon?

Heather

Anonymous said...

Jeeheon - I am suggesting that you start an off-shoot blog about all the Korean food you guys had so far and will be having around the world... ;)

Jeeheon said...

Sue - yeap, it´s cold. =) Day time is perfect cool travel weather with the sun, but nights are pretty cold. I sleep with my hat on. La Paz is supposed to be below freezing - I envision our Bolivia trip being pretty short!

Heather - how's the married life? Any different? After three weeks of being good, Bill is a smoker again. I am doing better - probably will do better tho if Bill wasn´t smoking around me all the time...

Jikja - did Chris tell you about how I've been to a Korean restaurant five times now? With the exception of Lima, they were all terrible. We are going to a Japanese place tonight - they supposedly have $3 udons. Yum!