Friday, April 4, 2008

Vietnam - Hanoi



We were in Hanoi for five days and took a taxi at least three times a day - we got over charged almost every time! One taxi actually had a weird meter that jumped up faster, but most cab drivers drove around a bit before dropping us off at our destination.
Other than that, Hanoi was a nice city to visit - interesting French-Vietnamese architecture, and it was foggy the whole time we were there, adding a faraway-land feel to the place.

Hoan Kiem Lake:
West Lake:
My favorite restaurant in Saigon was called 'Quan An Ngon', and on one of our 'detours' in the taxi, I saw that it had a branch in Hanoi! The restaurant has all sort of Vietnamese food, and each food is made in its special stall, like so:
I ate a lot there:
Vietnamese graffiti:
We also went to a shopping mall - I am convinced that going to the mall anywhere is the most authentic, non-touristy thing one can do. We watched Beowulf (why didn't anyone tell us it was animation) and went to the video game arcade:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I lost my bet with Susan that you would only last two months. Susan, come over to collect.
Despite losing a dinner to Susan, which I have to cook myself, I applaud your "year off." While you explored exotic locales of the the world, relaxed, contemplated life, met unique and interesting characters and accumulated a lifetime of stories, I sat behind my desk, worked, surfed the net (a lot), ate office birthday cake (a lot), noticed my ass growing a little bigger(a lot), paid bills (a lot), and took my requisite two-week vacation (not nearly enough).
I hate you guys.
Despite my jealousy, I learned more about the world through your journeys.
Do come through New York on your way back.
Best,
Naveen

pooliod said...

Giddy up, cowboy!

Donnie

pooliod said...

PS - looks like a pack of smokes there on the table... I was wondering if the trip would break the habit.

Donnie

Anonymous said...

Giddy up cowboy is right! Remember that waiter in Laguna Beach. Oh yeah, baby!

Anonymous said...

So if your trip is almost over, does that mean that the blog will end? How sad!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

So if your trip is almost over, does that mean that the blog will end? How sad!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

NO! this can't be it... sniff~

woniga

Travel Thailand said...

I like the meaning of Ha Noi means within the river.